Thursday, November 13, 2008

Both Sides Have Issues

Yes, that's right folks. There are two sides revealed among Evangelicals these days. The (at least) two sides have been there a long time but were perhaps ignored or minimized before the Great Election. Now they're on the table, and maybe that is a good thing.

I have written about my disappointment with Obama.

I have written about my disappointment with Christians who voted for Obama.

I have written about my disappointment with Christians who don't understand why other Christians voted for Obama.

I have written about why that's a "personal paradox" for me.

Here's another thing I want to write about: How Evangelicals on both sides of this issue are wearing blinders to how the other side thinks.

It goes something like this:

McCain voter to Obama voter: "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU VOTED FOR OBAMA!"

Obama voter to McCain voter: "I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH OBAMA!'

Okay, maybe that's a bit oversimplified, but you get my point.

You can see we won't get very far at this rate...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JP Paulus said...

Part of the "solution" is relationships.

If i didn't know you, Steve, i might not even bother to read your blogs, or if i did, make some quick, unhelpful judgments.

But I do know you (though not as well as others), at least enough to really respect your thoughts. It makes me pause, and get over any initial emotional reaction, and stop and consider why you came to the conclusions you did. And it makes me think twice (or three or four times) on passing judgment, and to see if I truly made the right decision inmy own life, or at least for the right reasons.

And i won't walk away from your blog writing you off; on the contrary, it usually helps me to respect you more.

So thanks for being out here, man!

As an aside...Jon Trott (of Jesus People USA) is asking for comment on California's Prop. 8. I think you could do a great job making the case for it.

November 14, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Hey, JP

I think you're absolutely right. This election reveals a divide among Christians that was already there, and must be healed the old-fashioned way: People loving each other.

It's interesting that in California, some of the big Obama groups (specifically Latinos and African-Americans), who came out in large numbers because of Obama, ended up being the very people to squash Prop 8.

What this shows is that even though the two voting blocks have a rift, they also have a great deal in common.

November 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

As for Jon Trott, it would take some real thought and reflection for me to answer him intelligently.

I'm thinking about it, though...

November 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home