Friday, May 9, 2008

The Streets I Feared to See

I referred to this poem on Chris' Blog, so I thought it would be good to post the whole thing.

It illustrates the general attitude Christians have held for some time regarding the cities. However, it also illustrates hope; In the end, God prevails.

The Streets I Feared to See

I said: "Let me walk in the field;"
God said: "Nay, walk in the town;"
I said: "There are no flowers there;"
He said: "No flowers, but a crown."

I said: "But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din;"
But He wept as He sent me back,
"There is more," He said, "There is sin."

I said: "But the air is thick,
And fogs are veiling the sun."
He answered: "Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone."

I said: "I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say,"
He answered me, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they."

I pleaded for time to be given;
He said: "Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in heaven
To have followed the steps of your Guide."

I cast one look at the fields,
Then set my face to the town;
He said: "My child, do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?"

Then into His hand went mine
And into my heart cam He;
And I walk in a light Divine,
The streets I had feared to see.

George MacDonald (1824-1905)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger 12345 said...

I'm new in the blogger world.

Thanks for sharing the poem. Solid. Most definitely solid.

God give us the streets. And give us the courage to take them.

May 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger KG said...

Steve,
I enjoyed the thoughts of this poem the first time that I heard you read it. Thanks for posting it.

May 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Welcome to the blogger world, Blaise! You'll have some fun in this neighborhood!

God bless you, man.

May 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home