Friday, June 20, 2008

Thought of the Day

“We have created a gospel for our own culture, tailor-made to fit smugly within the confines of the American Dream. The old-fashioned Gospel we should preach has been altered just enough to agree with our busy schedules and myriad amusements. By emphasizing certain biblical teachings and, more importantly, neglecting others, we have managed to create a whole new gospel that fits our American lifestyle…

Tragically, our rendition of Christianity makes no demands, expects no sacrifice, and yields no eternal rewards. The Lion of Judah has been anesthetized, declawed, and tamed. We have reduced the Almighty to a harmless icon we passively honor in our busy lives. The vision of a Holy God, a Consuming Fire, a Judge who will one day render unto every man his just reward has virtually vanished out of the American Church.”

Steve Gallagher Intoxicated with Babylon

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Man I absolutely love this quote man! I am using it in a sermon I am doing. I was going to do it last week but it didn't fit with the passage but it does this week.

Like the new family pic on the blog homie!

Holla!

June 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yes. All of them much cuter than I am!

June 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Steve,
Hey man a couple of Sundays ago I used this quote and it was powerful. It fit right in with the message I preached about authentic faith that leads to a "pecuilar" people.

Also what you said over at Chris' blog about what you told your son when he said he like it here (on earth) and you then said the more you get to know Jesus the more you will want to go be with Him. Awesome! I loved that.

My son just recently said the same thing and I was struggling to find something to say. I am going to use what you said so I hope it isn't copywritten!:)

Thanks bro for being a godly father!

Peace

July 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

A blessing of blogging is that we have all gotten to bless each other.

I'm glad you were blessed, bro. I'm just returning the favor.

July 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

come back to us Steve!

July 16, 2008 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Too busy to write real posts, man!

July 17, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home