Thursday, October 30, 2008

Family Man

Sorry, folks

I had to unashamedly steal this one from Chris Brooks! I thought it was really powerful, and simply watching it will bless you:



Of course, being Steve, I do have to analyze this a bit...

What do you think of the idea of Christians prioritizing family over, say, seeking first the Kingdom? I mean, nobody ever calls it that, but it certainly happens! I guess where is the line? How do we live in the tension of loving our families, like this video so beautifully portrays, and counting all things loss for the sake of Christ?

If we do not do this well, then we simply live for ourselves... we simply turn our family into an idol.

Maybe that's a little too much for this post! Maybe I should just leave the video as is and let it speak to you. But I thought some ruminating on this point might be strategic in light of the video content.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I think you already no how I feel based on some of my blog posts but if not then here is where I stand.

I think this "family first" mentality is just a cover up for hording, trust funds, and materialsim that is all under the umbrella of "stewardship."

I think for me to love my family I have to put the Kingdom first knowing that in this they will encounter the treasure of Christ and "lay not for themsleves treasure here on earth."

I am not saying that this is always the case but often this "family first" stuff leads to comfortable living, private schools, and a complete isolation... i.e. the genesis of the suburban movement.

Just my thoughts...

Here is a verse I love...

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple."

October 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Amen. Good word.

I loved the video except for when he drew the nice suburban neighborhood... then I got nervous.

Such a portrayal (or perhaps dream or vision) can be the death knell of supernatural ministry... of supernatural discipleship.

Thus, the powerless American church.

We trade power for comfort and security... Jesus said that His power was perfected in our weakness. He said that one must lose one's life to find real life. He said that one must count all things loss for His sake, and that one must take up one's cross and forsake all and follow.

But how do we live in the real tension? This is the dance we dance, bro.

October 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home